Sunday, December 20, 2009

ECTOPIARY, Page 3

(view page 3 here.)
Until I devise the correct programming to include a Message Board/Forum page for the Ectopiary Website, I will try to conduct such business on this blog. I very much encourage any and all (positive and negative) observations regarding the Ectopiary webcomic here.
I may attempt to write my own commentary about each page in this space. I will try my best not to point out the many flaws in the art that painfully apparent to myself. I leave that to you, my faithful vultures!
Caleb Goellner wrote a generous notice about the website debut at The Comics Alliance. I am grateful for the exposure. However, I must correct the otherwise astute Mr. Goellner about the feature's title. "Ectopiary" does not refer to ghosts or ethereal gardens. (Although this possibility is not ruled out.) This peculiar nomenclature sprouts from a hybrid of sources. The initial source is from an astonishing artifact currently being preserved by The Empire S.N.A.F.U. Restoration Project. According the website there, the word comes from a peculiar vocabulary base called "lxt'lot'l" : "This language of the deceased is communicated via pure sensory dilation. Ixt'lot'l is a precision tongue of immaculate vagary, and misappropriated recollection."


Also, it stems from the medical term "ectopia" which is "the usually congenital displacement of an organ or part." For instance, consider the plight of the youngster below who was born with his brain outside his skull.

I hope you will agree,as the webcomic progresses, that this title appropriately reflects its tone and general nature. After all, my fellow creatures, aren't we all displaced organs from our mothers' wombs?



No comments:

Post a Comment