Sunday, July 18, 2010

ECTOPIARY, Page 33

LATEST ECTOPIARY PAGE READY TO READ HERE

Page 33 is an excellent metaphor for my ability to charm the ladies. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

Speaking of slow learning curves, here's pictorial essay titled WHY IT TAKES ME A WEEK TO DRAW A SINGLE COMIC PAGE:
A single panel can become a prolonged ordeal. An example is the one that follows. An ostensibly simple image: Dale and her uncle walking in single file down a hallway with some expository dialogue. This is the first penciled attempt. The figures are awkward, poorly balanced and out of proportion. They also seem to be floating above the floor that they're supposed to be walking on; that is, if I drew one.
Attempt number two: Dale's uncle looks okay. However, Dale looks more like a misshapen midget instead of a little girl. Also, I don't like the background.
I decide to draw each element separately. Here's a drawing of Dale that, although not stunning, is acceptable.
Then I proceed to pencil a new backdrop:
Here it is, in ink:
Next, I begin lavishing it with details that are inevitably going to be obstructed by characters and word balloons.
Having fun with scissors, glue, white-out and neurotic texturing. Here is the result. (Dialogue removed for this post.)

3 comments:

  1. What do you ink with, specifically?
    The Squirrel Machine was breath-taking, confounding and disturbing...the pig-head organ...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't actually use professional materials. Whenever I try to use an expensive brush or pen (crow-quill or drafting) over a piece of huge bristol board, I freeze up completely. I still use the same cheap crap I've used since I was a kid, making my own mini-comics: Pilot V-Ball Extra Fine tip, A Flair for ruling borders and making word-balloons, and whatever non-toxic black felt markers I can get for large black spaces. I draw on Strathmore medium weight paper with a slightly rough surface and an off-white tint for less glare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought you magically knew where everything was going to go before your pen hit the paper....scissors and white out....why is it that when I try that trick, it just somehow doesn't turn out as seamless?;) I love these kinds of posts....like that other progression of the curly headed girl on your other site...like one of those 'how to draw' books, very instructive.

    ReplyDelete