Saturday, July 24, 2010

ECTOPIARY. Page 34

A NEW ECTOPIARY PAGE IS NOW READY FOR READING HERE

The story of the book moves on, as does life for most of us.
Since moving to these rural climes, news often takes awhile to reach me. I learned only yesterday that a most unusual individual who I was proud to call a friend passed away on June 11. Hugo Baratta, as I remember him, was a slender, soft-spoken gentleman who would ride his bike into Leavitt & Pierce in Harvard Square (where I worked 2001 - 2006) and peddle his peculiar watercolor paintings; sometimes in exchange for a pack of smokes. His conversation was sometimes stilted and non-sequitorial, but always friendly, good-spirited and enjoyable. Those who've seen the video of me on YouTube will remember that I had quite amassed quite a collection (about 1/3 of which is visible in that particular document.) His paintings are pure, unpretentious, sometimes containing confounding symbolism. Some of the best examples are hidden away in storage at the moment, but I hope to locate them soon. I shall remember him dearly as kind-hearted soul with a beautiful smile, gentle manner and spirit. His obituary can be read here.





1 comment:

  1. A monster turns into a uniformed ancester (another monster?).....cool, a plot device that made me go back and reread the whole thing :). Sorry to hear about Hugo, I remember that part of the video. Mystics have been reclassified as schizophrenics in the modern era.

    ReplyDelete