Sunday, November 7, 2010

ECTOPIARY, Page 49

The Latest Page Of My Uncategorizable Book Is HERE

What Milton says in the last panel of page 49 is a statement of fact. You cannot prove to me otherwise.

I attended the New England Webcomics Weekend. The first day was a bit dispiriting, as I was overwhelmed by the overabundance of trendy genre-spewing CRAP. There were, however, a handful of people who manage to produce comics that contain (in my opinion) original, imaginative and skillful work. I will list the top three:

Dylan Meconis' FAMILY MAN is an exemplary effort that combines historical accuracy, deliberate pacing, subtle symbolism, masterful rendering, thoughtful dialogue and exquisite attention to detail. It rewards upon repeated readings.

Evan Dahm's RICE BOY website is filled with eminently enjoyable and readable fantasy-based comics. It has a quirky style that provides a breezy reading experience that makes one overlook the precision and detail that goes into this comic. His current work, Vattu, is his most promising effort to date.

Spike's TEMPLAR, AZ is another superb example of world-building. It has a rich cast of enjoyable characters, fun dialogue and a solid, crisp drawing style. On top of this, Spike is a wonderfully informative and thoroughly lovely individual.

Of course, the creators listed above already have established themselves with successful webcomics; and deservedly so. They do not need my endorsement. One could argue that each of them could easily be labeled under specific genres, but I believe that is incidental. Of the thousands of webcomics I have looked at, I have found less than a dozen that (in my mind) display a sliver of originality and craft. Sure, I enjoy junk-culture as much as anybody; but where do I find sustenance?

(Humbly, I offer my own efforts as nourishment for similar seekers.)

As always, I thank each of my readers. I am grateful for any and all response, and encourage you to write some in the Comments Section below.

For this week's post, I've squeezed out another sampling of Out-takes from The Squirrel Machine. Thay have a tendency to scatter the floor about my drawing table like hair scraps under a barber's chair.

2 comments:

  1. here I go again with yet another phone or internet message...

    however...

    strange thought about those drawings of Markus: people two hundred years from now reading THE SQUIRREL MACHINE and having no knowledge of the person on whom you based the character.

    as far as webcomics I think you might like that I may or may not have mentioned to you before (can't remember):


    * ACHEWOOD
    http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua5KGPM8

    (link goes to the first installment in the "Cartilage Head" story which reminded me of something by Al Columbia.)

    * DICEBOX
    http://www.dicebox.net/

    on the tip of my mind's tongue I have a third one but I cannot think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have only found less than a handful of webcomics I find original. Here are some of the best:

    KC Green's GUNSHOW:
    http://gunshowcomic.com/

    Ricky Garduno's 1930 NIGHTMARE THEATER:
    http://dummcomics.com/index?sid=4

    As the guy above said, ACHEWOOD. And that's pretty much it. I'm more for stuff by you, Moebius, Crumb, Jim Woodring and cartoonists of a similar school when it comes to good comics. You guys and the old newspaper cartoonists are the best of all time.

    ReplyDelete