Monday, December 6, 2010

ECTOPIARY, Page 53

MORE ECTOPIARY WAITING TO BE READ.

I like the first panel of page 53 very much. The other two panels not so much. The next page is much better, I promise.

The Squirrel Machine is still perplexing people, more than a year after its release. Here are more reviews:

The Name Of This Cartoon Is Brunswick
Comics disturb readers, celebrate Halloween season | The Daily Texan - (scroll down for the Squirrel Machine review.)

Earlier this week, I learned that when asleep and dreaming, looking up words in the dictionary is a hopeless (but interesting) endeavor. I found the word "forsonym." According to this dream-dictionary, it means "a pictorial diagram of the metaphysical digestive tract of female oxen, often used to punish disobedient schoolchildren."

Another book, which one would presume only to find in the nocturnal libraries of the other side of consciousness is currently manifesting itself in a downright corporeal edition, waiting to fill that gaping void in your bookshelf. I am writing of none other than Mahendra Singh's majestic adaptation of Lewis Carroll's oft-overlooked epic "THE HUNTING OF THE SNARK." If you do not rush to acquire this beautiful book immediately, you are a fool. Rather than add my own ham-fisted verbiage to M. Singh's splendid eloquence, I shall simply let the following link guide your way: http://justtheplaceforasnark.blogspot.com

As an incentive, below is posted an example of the master's work. Consider this my effort towards what I hope will be a Worldwide Emerging Mahendra Singh Awareness Movement! Indulge, seekers!



(Note: These comic pages have been posted without permission, and may be removed pending any such requests from the author.)

2 comments:

  1. The Esteemed M. Singh requested that I post this comment below:

    I posted a comment earlier, it seems to have vanished softly away. No matter! I just wanted to say thanks to Hans for posting this, it brought back a lot of happy memories. This was the first comix art I ever sold, to Gary Groth in his Prime Cuts.

    Back then, like many other comixers, I thought things were afoot in America, that comix were finally growing up. Alas, 25 years later, I'm a bit disappointed. there's some great stuff out there but on the whole, Americans are still sticking to the older tropes, conceptually and technically.

    It's an odd fact but this country, so new, so unrooted, is so deeply conservative in the arts.

    My idea of the future was what is now Han's Squirrel Machine. He really is pointing the way forward with such work, and also Ectopiary. You could take much of Han's work and make it into a silent film, it would work great and that's the point, the drawing is not a story-telling tool, it IS the story.

    Above all, I love his floating-world attitude, where things just amble along. Time and rhythm in comix need to slow down, the art needs to be syncopated along with that. Hans gets it. Ben Katchor, he's another good example. Just let it all hang out and drift along.

    fugally yours
    Mahendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mahendra's work, but I hadn't seen this piece. Thanks so much for posting it!

    Based on his comment, he would hate my comics though.

    ReplyDelete