Thursday, July 28, 2011

WONDERFULNESS

Page 82 of ECTOPIARY seems to be a landing spot of sorts. THINGS will be occurring in the next few pages.

COCHLEA & EUSTACHIA also transpires in the world. Notify your friends!

Because I am now drawing two regular comics strips, I haven't yet nailed down a consistent schedule for posting on this blog. What I desperately need is someone who is willing to perform the necessary routine online tasks for promoting my comics. For anybody willing to undertake this task, I am offering a percentage of net profits! Interested persons may contact me at hansrickheit@hotmail.com!

This week, I've decided to give another peek at my usual drawing process when I make these inexplicable comics.


Unlike most cartoonists that I know, instead of penciling in an entire page before inking, I compose each panel separately. Often, I will break it down even further, by fully rendering & inking each individual element in the panel (foreground figures or background details) one at a time. Here is the feature character, Pimwit, in his wheelchair, sans background.

Here is Pimwit in initial inked form, pencils erased.


Art Baxter (http://artbaxter.com) would teasingly call me a "line-builder." I have no adeptness with a brush or any kind of pen that flares out the line as you draw. In fact, I tend to press down with a lot of force onto the page. As of yet, I have not ceased this habit. I destroy a lot of pens this way. Consequently, I carefully draw over each line until I get the desired thickness. I suspect most people would lose patience with this, but I rather like it. This is probably why I would flunk out of art school if I ever had the notion of attending.



Now I have Pimwit "locked down" in inked form. I'm fairly satisfied that he looks okay, so I proceed to rough in the background. Unlike most of the backgrounds in my panels, this one is relatively simple.



Fun with rulers.


A couple of hours of nervous stippling, a big blob of black ink and it's done. In my opinion, it's actually kind of a crappy drawing, but here it is, exposed in its developmental stages for posterity. Forgive me.

1 comment: